Harvest of the Month
Harvest of the Month (HOTM) is the Georgia Department of Education School Nutrition Program’s farm to school campaign to promote a different local, seasonal fruit or vegetable each month.
Harvest of the Month Goals
- Feature and promote a locally grown fruit or vegetable (“harvest”) on the school cafeteria menu each month.
- Encourage healthy choices and consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Increase students’ access and exposure to local and seasonal produce.
- Educate students on nutrition, agriculture and healthy eating.
- Support local farmers and increase connections between schools and local producers.
Reasons to Participate
Harvest of the Month allows you to begin a farm to school program or to grow your existing farm to school program. It is an opportunity to generate excitement in students to try a different local product each month in their school meal, and to encourage consumption of fruits and vegetables. The campaign encourages collaboration between school nutrition program staff, teachers, farmers, and the community.