Wellness Program Policy
The Ben Hill County Board of Education recognizes that student wellness and proper nutrition are related to students' well-being, growth, development, and readiness to learn. The Board is committed to providing a school environment that promotes and protects student wellness, proper nutrition, nutrition education, and regular physical activity as part of the total learning experience. In a healthy school environment, students will learn about and participate in positive dietary and lifestyle practices that can improve student achievement.
Development of Local Wellness Policy:
In accordance with the federal law, the Ben Hill County District has involved parents, students, representatives of food services, the Board, school administrators and the public in developing a district-wide wellness policy. After considering input from various stakeholders interested in the promotion of overall student health and well being, the Board establishes these policy goals to promote student wellness.
The following measurable and obtainable goals have been established:
- The Child Nutrition program shall comply with federal, state and local requirements and shall be accessible to all children.
- Sequential and interdisciplinary nutrition education shall be provided and promoted.
- Patterns of meaningful physical activity shall be connected to students' lives outside of physical education.
- All school-based activities shall be consistent with local wellness policy goals.
- All food and beverages served and/or sold on campus during the school day shall be consistent with the current USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- All foods made available on campus shall adhere to food safety and security guidelines.
- The school environment shall be safe, comfortable, pleasing, and allow ample time and space for eating meals.
The Superintendent or designee shall be responsible for overseeing the implementation of the wellness policy and is authorized to develop procedures for evaluation, including indicators that may be used to measure the schools' success in meeting the goals set forth herein. In each school, the principal or designee shall be charged with operational responsibility for ensuring that the school works toward meeting the wellness goals and shall report to the Superintendent or designee.
Wellness Program Smart Snacks