Ben Hill Middle School
Grow your mind. Grow your life.
BHMS will have parent meetings for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade parents on the following dates in the BHMS gym.
6th Grade 7/22/2021 @ 5:00
7th Grade 7/26/2021 @ 6:00
8th Grade 7/27/2021 @ 5:00
Topics for discussion include:
Expectations for students
Role of technology
How students can get involved
Parental involvement & PTO
Making school rigorous and fun!
Questions & concerns
Parents:Please review this video of Mr. Sims talking about key documents that we need your input on for next year..We want your feedback and comments on the following documents. These documents are all located under About Us- then Parent Involvement. Please review the Parent Student Teacher Compact, Parent Engagement Plan and the School Improvement Plan.If you have any comments or feedback, please email Mr. Sims at firstname.lastname@example.org.Thank you for your participation in this process.Go Canes!!
You can read anywhere, anytime, and virtually anything this summer, because Get Georgia Reading partner Renaissance is again delivering thousands of free books—plus engaging daily news articles—to your computer and mobile devices, available 24 hours a day from May 3 through July 31.
With myON, Renaissance’s digital reading platform, all children, parents and guardians, educators, and librarians can search from many different categories and genres, fiction and nonfiction, picture books, graphic novels, chapter books, titles for struggling and reluctant readers, and Spanish and bilingual titles. It’s like having your own personal library right at your fingertips.
1. Register at renaissance.com/getgeorgiareading from May 3 – July 31.
2. After you register, you will receive your username and password via email.
3. Log in at myON.com/login/index.html and enter your log-in information:
School Name: Get Georgia Reading (Type the first few letters and select your school from the drop-down menu.)
Username: Provided in your login email
Password: Provided in your login email
4. Click on the Sign In button, select a book, and start reading!
Ben Hill Middle School is now accepting REACH applications for Rising 8th graders for next year.
This student must:
be a U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen (Proof should be attached if Eligible Non-Citizen)
be enrolled as a full-time student at an Eligible Middle School and, if selected, would officially sign Scholarship commitment as an 8th grader. demonstrate and prove financial need
have the potential to graduate high school with a 2.5 or greater HOPE-Calculated GPA
not be truant.
have a behavior record that reflects no more than two total combined Level I and/or Level II disciplinary infractions, and not have had any out-of-school suspensions in the past 2 semesters or 4 quarters.
Please go by and see Mrs. Sujette Giddens at BHMS to get an application or print out this attachment.
Applications are due back to Mrs. Giddens at BHMS by May 14. 2021. Thank you!
Parents and guardians,
Ben Hill County Schools is piloting a new type of assessment. Unlike the comprehensive Georgia Milestones, Navvy assessments are broken down by standard. These mini assessments contain six to eight questions and are intended to help teachers learn about students’ progress throughout the year so that they can address students’ specific needs.
This year, your child will take a Navvy assessment over each essential standard in ELA and math classes. Here are some important things to know:
• The goal is for students to demonstrate mastery. Students show mastery by scoring a minimum of five on assessments that have eight questions and by scoring a minimum of four on assessments that have five or six questions.
• Students have three attempts on each Navvy assessment, but they will not be able to take a second or third attempt until they have received re-teaching on non-competency standards (i.e., standards that were not mastered). According to Navvy’s guidelines, students cannot re-take an assessment once mastery is achieved.
• Navvy assessment scores are not for a grade but may be entered in an unweighted category of Infinite Campus so you can track your student’s progress.
• Navvy assessments are rigorous. Please encourage your child to not be discouraged if he/she does not master a standard at first.
Think of Navvy assessments like a quiz that shows how students are doing so far. The goal of such formative assessments is to help teachers learn how to better meet students’ needs during, not after, instruction. This data also helps students learn what goals need to be accomplished to improve. If you have any questions, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
Find It Fast
There are no upcoming events to display.